In this blog, we’ll discuss whether apprenticeships can help you continuously upskill your leadership team.
The different levels
Apprenticeships have a variety of levels – from Level 2 all the way to Level 7. Their rankings are as follows:
Level 2 – Intermediate
Level 3 – Advanced
Level 4 – Certificate of Higher Education
Level 5 – Higher National Diploma (HND)
Level 6 – Degree
Level 7 – Masters
With Level 2 apprenticeships, there are usually no eligibility requirements. As for the other levels, applicants generally need to meet some sort of criteria. However, it’s not necessary to have completed lower-level apprenticeships to enrol on later courses – though this may come in handy.
For instance, at BMS Progress, we have two types of apprenticeships related specifically to leadership: the Level 3 Team Leader Apprenticeship and the Level 5 Leadership Apprenticeship. While you don’t have to, some apprentices choose to enrol on both programmes subsequently to put themselves in the best positions to upskill and progress their careers.
Level 3 Team Leader Apprenticeship
Aimed at first-line management, this apprenticeship imparts fundamental skills and theories on managing and leading teams. The course boosts apprentices’ confidence, enabling them to progress in their role and the organisation and develop their career path. What’s more, it offers a dedicated environment for apprentices to put their know-how, skills, and behaviours into practice.
They’ll learn key topics to help them in their jobs, including:
• Effective time management tools and techniques
• The difference between leadership and management
• Leadership styles and coaching techniques
• Managing resources, identifying risks, and handling project issues
• Communication types and application
• How to provide and receive feedback
• Ensuring the team implements and maintains standards
Level 5 Leadership Apprenticeship
The Level 5 Leadership Apprenticeship has been designed for senior or second-line managers who wish to progress into higher leadership roles. It builds upon the modules in the Level 3 Team Leader Apprenticeship, delivering much deeper education and detail. As a result, learners are able to apply the methodology and action innovative processes and thinking.
The programme includes:
• How to improve emotional intelligence
• Developing and managing impact as a leader
• Using appropriate communication styles
• Leading and influencing people to be high-performing
• Considering operational policy and compliance
• Monitoring budgets to ensure efficiencies and cost control